Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wrong on Two Counts...

One, the post-doc I'm working for spells his name Hui, but everyone in the lab pronounces it exactly like "Hugh."  Oops.   I suppose Hui is the new Hugh.

Two, in lab I get to do way more than I thought I got to do, although I still have to interpret results:

Isn't it pretty?  (The back part is impossible to fit with the program...they told me not to even try.)  This was my 'trial run' and I guess I passed, because all Hui said was "Ok, tomorrow we'll start you on some real stuff."

Other than learning new computer simulation programs I've been learning about the exquisite art of knob-turning.  The key to running a Van de Graaf accelerator is knowing which knob to turn when, while the key to collecting data is knowing what buttons to push when.  The second part I have down pat, the first...not so much.  My knob-turning notes are two pages long...it would seem that there are a lot of subtleties to knob-turning.

In other news, the people running the dorm must have gotten some sense knocked into them, because I came in this afternoon to a funny smell...only to find that the heat had been turned on!  Yay!  I won't have to sleep with my coat on after all.

1 comment:

John said...

!I can barely use MS Paint...good for you.