Friday, June 13, 2008

My Eyes Huuuuurt

It's the computer's fault.  I got a memory card adapter and updated this post with pictures!


In lab:
I ended up doing battle with a spectrum all afternoon and got it to fit perfectly, but it had nine layers. So today's project has been smushing layers together and sticking my tongue out at them when they mess up what I already have.


In Bozeman:
I've decided that the two groups should hang out more, because

1. Why not
2. Everyone will have a better time
3. It's annoying to split your time between two (or more) camps

Unfortunately the CM group is rather shy so it takes some effort for this to happen. Overall, though, social life is improving for REU's everywhere...

Tuesday the Solars (minus Keira, the Solar recluse) decided to see a late screening of Kung-Fu Panda. Normally I'm not one for movies but in this instance the movie wasn't really the point. Three CM people were rounded up and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Wednesday it got quite snowy.



Later that day I took Jenna (Solar) and Chris (CM) to Colombo's pizza where Orion and some of his friends were. Sadly Chris is from the Chicago area and is spoiled by the pizza there. Oh well. We also decided that since there is no Indian food within two hours of Bozeman, we should try to make some one evening. (This could be very, very good or very, very bad.) I think we've gotten a few more people onto the project since then.

It was Eric's 21st Thursday and we've turned it into a three-day event in the name of making up excuses to have fun. Wednesday night Nick and I traded music...

 
Look, our computers are pals!

...and basically nerded out until midnight, at which point Nick and Eric split Eric's first legal beer.
 
You have to be in your room to drink, so...just in case.

Nick found out that I hate beer and has made it his personal mission to find one that I'll like...good luck? Yesterday, the actual day of Eric's birth, we took over the kitchen and game room and made lemon cupcakes with chocolate icing for all of the REU's. The entire solar crew showed up and some CM came out of hiding...I got Rob and Chris to go without much effort and then we went on a reconnaissance mission for Austin and Andrew. The latter refused to cross the threshold of his room, so we just brought him up a cupcake. The rest of us played foosball, sat around, and got cupcake crumbs and sprinkles everywhere. Hurrah for intermingling!

Tonight we're all going out for dinner downtown (to an establishment of Eric's choosing) at six, tomorrow's a hike and then I think some folk are going to bars in evening, and I guess I'll report on that when I get some downtime.

Speaking of downtime pursuits, I found out that the creative arts and architecture library is right beside the dorms...which means a ton of urban planning and art books for me. For now two giant tomes containing the works of two of my favorite artists (Aubrey Beardsley and Yoshitoshi) are gracing the top of my fridge - ironically, my bookshelves are filled with food.